I have two separate lists.. one for people who love and celebrate Halloween.. and another for people and teachers who don't celebrate Halloween and or who's school likes to keep it without ghosts, devils, witches...monsters..
I love the idea... of a pinkoween party... go to www.andersruff.blogspot.com and see more.. and if you are interested in having a pinkoween party... they will make the labels..for you and donate 2.00 for each sale..
1. My son's all time favorite.. There was an old Monster... by Rebecca, Adrian and Ed Embereley...
we downloaded the catchy tune at www.scholastic.com/oldmonster
2. Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson....a blog friend.. also showcased this great book last year... and she has an adorable....with child interaction for home or school
www.teachingheart.net search Halloween books.. and watch the video... of the cauldron.... and the book...
3. The little old women who was not afraid of anything..by Linda Williams
4. There was an old lady who swallowed a bat by Lucille Colandra
This book has not been a favorite of mine.. because some of the original books...said.. dead. or die.... so I would have to change it to... perhaps she'll cry... There is a thanksgiving version.. a shell version.. and a few others.. great for flannel boards.. or paper plate...crafts...
My son has the entire Froggy collection... and they are not my favorite.. a bit like a moral... a bit like Bernstain's bears.. but I like them... just the same
I think my son like it because the ghost change colors when they eat pumpkin soup, spinach and salmon.. so funny
I saw on www.brimfulcuriosities.com that she had her children watercolor on ghost shapes and talk about what they ate.. so clever..
9 and 10. we do not own 10 but we own 9 my grandmother purchased for my son last Halloween
9. Halloween Bugs by David A. Carter
I thought my son would laugh a little about this one.. as I am also job searching.. and so he can relate... a bit
13. Big Pumpkin
I first heard this when I was in my 20's working at Vassar College in the Nursery school on campus.. and I heard it with a tape.. and I fell in love with the way it was read... so I have read it to my son.. with the voices and intonations... but last week I found it on ebay.. so now .. he can hear it the way I did....so fun.. I love the way the vampire speaks...
17.Halloween Hoots and Howls By Joann Adinofi
22.Hallo-wiener by Dave Pilkey.. I know not many people love this author with his Captain Underpants books.. but this book is cute
23. The ugly Pumpkin.. by Dave Horowitz..normally I steer clear from children's books with the word fat or ugly.. in them.. and if I do read one.. I talk about why I chose that word.. but this book is a fun twist on the ugly duckling---
26. Arthurs' Halloween ( he has never been a favorite.. but my son... again.. likes him)
27. Who will Haunt my House on Halloween?
28. Clifford's first Halloween by Norman Bridwell
I like the Curious George books and movies.. and especially the show on pbs.. because they showcase science..which I love and so does my son.. but I have to always talk about the trouble George get's in and how it's not always ok to be curious.. especially some of the dangerous or messy things George does...
31. Jack, Prelusky's IT's HALLOWEEN people forget how important poetry is....
So if I have not scared you away...or bored you.. now are the books that are not scary...
1. Pumpkin circle
2.The Pumpkin Patch by Elizabeth King
all photograhy... love it!
3. and 4. and 5. The Pumpkin book by Gail Gibbons and Apples she also has a new one I don't own called Corn
all her informational books are great for parents to answer questions and for older children to gain information... little wordy..for little guys.
6.and 7. and 8. Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert and Boo to YOU by Lois Ehlert and Red leaf yellow leaf
IF you have never read her books.. your in for a terrific surprise.
9. A day at the Pumpkin Patch
by Megan Faulkner and Adam Krawesky for all you photo fans...
10. Hello, Harvest Moon by Ralph Fletcher ...we got this one from the library
11.Harvest by Kris Waldherr
12. Apple cider making days by Ann Purmell
13. I SPY a pumpkin
cover has a old house.. that could look spooky.. but inside it's just rhymes and finding objects
14. Pumpkin Town by Katie McKy
15.The House in the Night by Susan Marie Swanson
16. Apple picking time
this was a favorite of mine.. from the library.. the words were beautiful and the story of children feeling confident.. I loved
17. Strega Nona's Harvest by Tomie de Paola.. I love Tomie.. and I wish we owned this book.. I love it as I love Strega Nona
18. By the light of the Harvest Moon
19. Roots shoots buckets and boots
great gardening book... for all seasons
20. Sixteen runaway Pumpkins
21. Golden Acorn.. bit strange.. bit like the hobbit..kind of writing... I believe it is Celtic and or greek Mythology...
22. Berries-Nuts and seeds
23.There was an old lady who swallowed some leaves.
24. I always love this book
25. I have this book.. and I love the simple pictures.. story.. bit long for toddlers.
26.When Autumn falls
27.Mouse's first Fall
28.Toot and Puddle are my favorite
The New Friend by Holly Hobbie
29.Nuts by Paula Gerristen
Lots of great real photos
31. Acorns everywhere!
Kevin Sherry.. silly... book..
SO fall into some books