2 cups of pumpkin puree
chopped onion ( I never put amounts for onion as it's based on preference)
1/2 green bell pepper
1 clove of garlic diced
1lb of ground turkey, or beef ( i always use turkey) or omit meat totally
1 can of diced or petite diced tomatoes, or your own tomatoes from your garden
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or less if you don't like it kicked up...
I add white kidney beans- but you can add red and white or just red
I add pinto beans
I add a few pinches of cinnamon
I put in my crock pot on low.. for 4 hours or In a dutch oven for 45 minutes... on medium high.
Sometimes I add chipotle peppers...
* sometimes I add vegan cheese and I have made a delicious vegan sour cream when I want to really indulge. Yesterday my son wanted chips with it, so I baked his lunch tortillas in the oven with coconut oil and sea salt for 6 minutes at 350 and they were just what he ordered.
I absolutely love PUMPKIN quinoa white bean chili too and I use Allyson Kramer ( vegan and gluten free) her recipe is fabulous...
Pumpkin Quinoa White Bean Chili
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 to 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Dash nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin puree (solid packed works great)
- 4 cups salted vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red quinoa
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon additional salt to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
Add in the spices, carrot, pumpkin puree and vegetable broth and simmer over medium heat for 11 minutes. Stir in the cannellini beans, coconut milk and quinoa and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until heated through and thickened slightly. Fold in the scallions and then top each individual serving with ample avocado and cilantro. Let cool about 15 minutes before serving; the chili will thicken about standing.
Makes 8 servings chili.
IF you enjoy eating in the seasons like I do, you would really enjoy the recipes in my fall detox eguide.
Fall detox detailsEnjoy!